Re: colorls in base

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 04:08:37AM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 04:43:24AM +0100, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
>  > I'm for adding colors...
>
> I kind of agree with jnemeth; but as long as it isn't on by default I
> don't care that much.

Seconded; as long as it's off by default I'm not going to feel this is
something worth my effort to oppose.  I already find myself touching
/etc/terminal-colors.d/disable on new GNU/Linux boxes, so I feel
something along those lines to enable it here would be reasonable.

> Can we, however, please have colors that are not angry fruit salad? My
> understanding is that sufficiently recent xterm and terminfo is
> capable of handling arbitrary rgb colors, so there's therefore no need
> to make everyone's eyes fall out.

That's more a palette issue... ANSI gives us 8 colors (16 if you think
that "bold" should indicate another color rather than heavier weight
text).  It's difficult to get a combination of
black/red/green/yellow/blue/magenta/white to not look like angry fruit
salad, unless you significantly diverge from the generally accepted look
for those color names.  If you want to advance to the 256 color with
6x6x6 color cube, or 24-bit color modes, you may quickly take this
thread into literal 'what color should we paint it' bike shedding.

> Better still would be a scheme that can adjust to the existing text
> and background color of the terminal, but that's probably still hard.

While an interesting idea, that sounds like a solution waiting for a
problem to me.

	Jonathan Kollasch