Re: colorls in base

On 16.02.2019 02:14, maya%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:
> There's a topic on peace-keeping in a large project.
>
> There are two types of feedback:
>
> - "this change makes the code simpler and twice as fast" (it's
>   objectively better)
> - "I like colorful terminals" (my personal opinion)

I object that this is just 'I like' case, I consider colors as an
elementary feature. It's more visible in code or text editors as they
can show you whether the inserted program or config file is well formed
or not. There were also programming languages using them (forthColor) as
a part of syntax. In the ls(1) case it's much easier to spot that there
is something wrong with a file (like a broken symlink).

The world has moved on, it's today not just color vs no-color, but
truecolor vs ansicolor. For example vt.c was patched in the Linux kernel
in 2014 (rev. cec5b2a97a11a) to handle 24bit color codes in environments
(and they are rather far from fancy end-user environments).