Re: colorls in base

On Sat, 16 Feb 2019, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:

With colors we can easily scroll thousands of lines in a terminal
emulator and immediately catch where is the error message (red) within
a fraction of second.

Not true. My eyes require LARGE amounts of color info, especially for certain colors like red. Depending on the intensity and boldness, any red text would appear as some level of gray. In most cases it would appear as <20% or >80% gray, which means that either the text disappears completely, or is indistinguishable from normal black text.

Now, if you were to use WHITE text on RED background for the error messages, there's a good chance I would see it, since the saturation level would be high! :) (Please note, I am NOT suggesting that this be implemented!)

It's fine, [colors] can be disabled. Other find them needed and this is to be solved.

It's been solved already - it's in pkgsrc.

I am not objecting to implementing colorls (in whatever form), just requesting that the default is, and will remain, OFF.

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:          |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee dot com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd dot org |