Re: deleting telnet/telnetd

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 12:32:08PM -0800, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
 > I don't understand your position. Let me explain why.
 >
 > You're saying, "Write a new one, and it's going to be close to
 > impossible," at the same time you're saying, "Delete this one."
 >
 > If it's impossible, and we need one, we'll need to keep the old one no
 > matter how bad it is, right? And if you can't fix it after all the
 > experience you have with it, how am I going to be able to fix it?

I don't really follow. It's not impossible. It's just not trivial.

Keeping the old one has been the answer for the past twenty-odd
years. But it can't be fixed and sooner or later someone's going to
find a critical problem with it.

The reason it came up this week is that someone found and posted a
couple noncritical problems in one of the other forks of it.

The hope, I think, was that the conclusion would be that we don't
really need one.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost