deleting telnet/telnetd

The previous telnet thread, contentious as it has been, has completely
missed the critical context, which is that telnet is 14,700 lines
cutpasted from the Necronomicon and telnetd is only slightly better.

If the conclusion is that we really need a telnet client (I myself
really don't care if it's in base or not) then we should write a new
one.

The old one should be deleted, the sooner the better.

Keep in mind that I say this from the perspective of having been the
upstream maintainer of the linux fork of it for some years and having
wasted quite a bit of time and sanity points trying to improve it,
i.e., arguments of the form "it's not that bad" not grounded in
similar experience aren't going to be very convincing.

Which of y'all who have been vocal on the other thread are willing to
help write this? Speak up.

Note that there are 50-odd RFCs on telnet and those document only the
basics. Making it work with the legacy router in your junkheap will
require that you get off your duff and test it against that router...

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost