Re: Sample based profiling

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 08:28:19AM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <2c408f23-6eae-da00-dfb2-ebc7b66e689c%gmx.com@localhost>,
> Kamil Rytarowski  <n54%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:
> >
> >I'm for removal of gprof and deduplication of .a files in the base.
> >
> >While there, can we get rid of moncontrol(3), profil(2) and all the
> >corresponding code?
>
> I constantly see proposals to remove things from base without replacing
> the functionality first. Yes, the current state is poor but the
> "hand hurts, cut hand" approach is worse.

Here it'd also be "cut arm", I think, since the kernel profiling that
relies on the same tools does still work, and, though limited, can do
some things out of the box that take nontrivial effort with the DTrace
FBT provider, the nearest alternative.

--
 Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls%panix.com@localhost
  "Whether or not there's hope for change is not the question.  If you