Re: Sample based profiling

On 01.08.2018 09:27, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <a0316562-2fd3-1509-aca2-76fde6ab6989%gmx.com@localhost>,
> Kamil Rytarowski  <n54%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:
>> -=-=-=-=-=-
>> -=-=-=-=-=-
>>
>> On 31.07.2018 10:28, Christos Zoulas wrote:

>>> I constantly see proposals to remove things from base without replacing
>>> the functionality first. Yes, the current state is poor but the
>>> "hand hurts, cut hand" approach is worse.
>>>
>>> christos
>>>

>> The original proposal contained an analysis of gperftools as an
>> immediate replacement through pkgsrc (it requires Perl).
>
> yes, gperftools could fit the bill.
>
>> And while there, there was a process of analysis of the compiler-rt
>> profile [coverage] feature during GSoC (while porting libFuzzer, we were
>> researching whether we need it at that point - but the conclusion was
>> that it's not required for fuzzing).

We will get 'LLVM profile' once the compiler-rt project will be merged
with base (but probably with just Clang/LLVM). It could be treated as a
modern -pg replacement.

I've ported it with local patches, but there were few failing tests
around left. I keep it on my TODO queues maybe to be picked by a GSoC
student ( http://wiki.netbsd.org/users/kamil/proposals/ ).