Re: FYI: POSIX update - SIGWINCH and 'struct winsize' (etc) to be added

On 22.10.2017 07:19, Robert Elz wrote:
> Not really (aside from quoting glibc as being an example of how things
> should be done is usually just funny) - apps can define as many of those
> symbols as they need, the lines from featuretest.h that I quoted are
> just picking the default.

Just to be clear. GLIBC wasn't a model example how things should be
implemented, but how they are actually implemented. So going for
multiple namespaces to be specified explicitly will break software.

I noted that there is a problem porting software to SmartOS as it's
difficult to figure out what is the proper set of _*_SOURCE defined in
order to ship function prototypes for all used features in software.
This is another extreme example.

The usual solution porting software to NetBSD is to disable
_SOURCE_POSIX-like defines or change -std=c++11 to -std=gnu++11 to
unbreak things. Getting closer to SmartOS-like solution will increase
the pain porting GNU software.