Re: S_IFMT not mentioned in any man page

>   FUTURE DIRECTIONS
>     No new S_IFMT symbolic names for the file type values of
>     mode_t will be defined by POSIX.1-2008; if new file types are
>     required, they will only be testable through S_ISxx( ) or
>     S_TYPEISxxx( ) macros instead.

That strikes me as stupid of them.  You can't write

	switch (st_mode satisfying)
	 { case S_ISTHINGY(selector):
	      ...;
	 }

(though arguably maybe you should be able to :-).

Of course, NetBSD can define new S_ITHINGY names even if POSIX won't.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign