Re: Aw: Re: mandoc shortcomings

Den 2015-12-17 kl. 13:26, skrev Carsten Kunze:
Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> wrote:

It certainly does not need to be groff however...   I do notice
though that mdoc uses (and documents) groffisms (\*[xx] stuff, and there's
at least one macro defined with a 3 letter name) which would make
replacing groff with a more standard troff (heirloom troff or some other)
more of a challenge.   Getting rid of all signs of groffisms from
everywhere would be an excellent idea.
Heirloom roff does support \*[xx] and 3 letter names.
I am aware that Heirloom doesn't format groff's man pages correctly.
Intentionally I didn't fix this, since up to now I had the opinion that a
man page should use mdoc or man macros and no low level requests.
But it should not be a problem to make the groff man pages work with
Heirloom.
Hm, wouldn't it be possible for mandoc to call groff/troff/vfsh if it fails to
understand the given man page?

-- R