Re: A draft for a multibyte and multi-codepoint C string interface

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 03:58:48PM -0400, Mouse wrote:
> > I believe that Arabic text contains the digits in the same order as
> > English.
>
> That's ambiguous: the same order meaning "most significant on the left"
> or the same order meaning "most significant encountered first in usual
> reading order"?

I seem to recall that when we set foot in Saoudi Arabia (I made
the first Gulf War), on the warehouses near the docks, numbers were
written both in arabic and in western decimals, one above the other,
and they were written most significant on left (as David Laight
wrote, this is the sign of the foreign origin of the "arabic"
numbers). (I mean by comparing different numbers, and finding the same
matching arabic glyph above the same western glyph.)

(It's funny to see that the very same thing turned into a big endian,
little endian schism...)

                      http://www.kergis.com/