Re: A draft for a multibyte and multi-codepoint C string interface

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 01:50:54PM -0400, Mouse wrote:

> > [...] if I'm not mistaken, a number looks the "same" in arabic,
> > because they are written left-to-right, that is, least significant
> > digit first considered from right-to-left).
>
> I don't recall which order the digits are written in, and I don't have
> any Arabic text with numbers in it at ready hand to check.  Surely
> someone here is competent in Arabic...?

I believe that Arabic text contains the digits in the same order as
English. Not the least of the reasons is that they are actually from
India, and from a language that (IIRC) is written left to right.

Even in europe, a French person will write completely different
looking 1 and 7 to an English person.

English has two common glyphs for 3, 4 and 9 (and to a slightly
lesser extent 6), and excluding the 7-segment ones.
Maybe that is just part of a font, but most of the differences
between fonts are much smaller (apart from serifs).

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost