Re: launchd port: Worth it?

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:15:17 -0400
matthew sporleder <msporleder%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Christos Zoulas
> <christos%zoulas.com@localhost> wrote:
> > On Mar 14,  6:13pm, brooks%freebsd.org@localhost (Brooks Davis) wrote:
> > -- Subject: Re: launchd port: Worth it?
> >
> > | The FreeBSD port is quite dated.  My understanding is that shortly after
> > | it was completed Apple basically rewrote launchd so starting from
> > | scratch may be required.
> >
> > Could be! I have not looked recently, anyway there are pieces that can
> > be salvaged :-)
> >
> > christos
>
> Incremental improvements to the existing rc is probably a better project.

I built a toy program some time ago that would monitor a daemon's state
using EVFILT_PROC filter in kqueue. My plan was a daemon that would run
under init, not replace it; and use the existing scripts in /etc/rc.d/
to actually start and stop services.

Using a simple state machine and the code from rcorder to build a
dependancy graph I expect it could perform a parallelized boot. However
what I wanted was a system that restarts crashed daemons and had an
easy command line tool to monitor/enable or disable/etc your processes,
like the 'service' in Redhat or 'svcadm' in Solaris 10, but more....
BSD.

--
Aaron B. <aaron%zadzmo.org@localhost>