Re: bin/47597: local and $() don't play well with each other

On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 04:45:19AM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>   | and that there is no de facto standard (all shells behaving differently).
>
> Here I agree.
>
>   | So there is no urge to change NetBSD sh to match an interpretation
>   | that is not guaranteed to be "the" specification.
>
> I'm kind of hoping for something more than "no urge" --- I'd prefer an
> explicit statement that NetBSD is going to ignore the standard in this
> area.

NetBSD is not ignoring the standard, since it is clear from the pointers
given on the discussion list that there is no consensus about what the
standard means.

And FWIW, I'm obviously not "NetBSD" neither a member of core.

So I repeat from my point of view that is see no urge to modify NetBSD
sh(1):

1) Because there is no agreement about what the standard means (because
they are conflicts on consequences in every corner and because the
assignment statement about special built-ins is not guaranteed to talk
about the prefixed version: var=value fn);

2) Because I fail to see why a user will use such a "feature" when:

var=value; fn

whether fn is a function, an external, or a built-in (the assignment is
made in the shell) does the trick.

                      http://www.kergis.com/