Re: bin/47597: local and $() don't play well with each other

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013, Robert Elz wrote:
If the existing shells (at the time) all implemented
        var=value func_call
as leaving $var set to value after func_call completes, then that is what the standard has to say happens - regardless of how stupid it is.

If the standard is not willing to declare existing implementations to be broken then it has to allow the existing stupid way, but it doesn't have to mandate the stupid way. The standard could say that it's unspecified whether it works the smart way or the stupid way. The standard could also deprecate the stupid way and say that a future revision if the standard will require the smart way.

| So there is no urge to change NetBSD sh to match an | interpretation that is not guaranteed to be "the" | specification.

I'm kind of hoping for something more than "no urge" --- I'd prefer an explicit statement that NetBSD is going to ignore the standard in this area.

Me too.

--apb (Alan Barrett)