Re: fixing libpthread noload, another approach

On Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 10:40:53AM -0600, David Young wrote:
> Everyone prefers software that used to work to stop working, and for
> software that never worked to fail late for obscure reasons instead of
> early for clear reasons?  Maybe that is the prevailing view among the
> developers who specialize in dynamic linker/libpthread esoterica, but
> among the community generally?  I don't think so! :-)

My concern is the case where a program not linked with -lpthread
calls dlopen for a DSO that is linked with -lpthreadathrough a third
paty library, but never uses threads.

That worked reliabily before NetBSD 6.0 (*), it now fails reliabily
and I propose a change so that it works reliabily again. Can we please
consider that breaking software that workes is not a desirable situation?

(*) I am told there were corner cases where it should have crashed on
netbsd-5 but I did not experience them. Mu proposal addresses the corner
cases, anyway.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu%netbsd.org@localhost