Re: iconv(3) and POSIX

uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost (Valeriy E. Ushakov) writes:

> Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
>
>> So is this as bug to fix in the prototype?   Or if not, how should the
>> manpage be changed?
>
> Const-vs-not of iconv source buffer has a long history by now and it's
> not the first time the question is brought up.  Have you gone through
> the archives?

No (I expected that the sources and man page would explain the reasons
for the current situation, and that history is only necessary to
understand the reason for changes).  But the reason for divergence from
POSIX is not in the man page, which claims POSIX convformance.  Our
system should not diverge from standards in an undocumented way.

If you think the difference from standards should remain, perhaps you
could add a comment to the .h file and a note in the STANDARDS section
of the man page, or suggest the contents of such a note.