Re: individual software releases for third parties

 >> > What do you think? Please share your thoughts on how we can organize
 >> > this including technical aspects.
 >>
 >> One more example of how NetBSD tools may become portable without
 >> autotools.
 >>
 >> http://mova.org/~cheusov/pub/mk-c/nbstat/
 >>

> I do not think one will find many autotools lovers here (certainly not me),
> but it is prevalent and worth to consider using it (obviously, not for our
> own infrastructure, but packaging for 3rd parties).  On the other hand,
> some Linux distributions ship bmake and our make scripts from /usr/share/mk

In the very beginning I tried to implement mk-c based on pkgsrc mk
files. I quickly realized that this is just waste of time. To me it
looks almost unmaintained, it doesn't have regression tests, it lacks
some functionality crucial for crossplatform development, it is too
NetBSD/gcc specific. Another problem is that some Linux distros ships
Simon Gerraty's mk files which are incompatible with NetBSD/pkgsrc ones
but provide bsd.*.mk files. This is why I decided to fork pkgsrc mk
files, name includes mkc.*.mk and provide bmake wrapper mkcmake(1).

> It seems like a good reason to *attempt* to push our own infrastructure.

I believe mk-c can be a good start for such attempt. Functionality
required for projects like you and Jeremy initiated has been already
implemented.  Everything is covered by regression tests and documented.

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.