Re: /usr/pkg cleanup, files not owned by any package

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:14:09AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 08:39:07AM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> > I did pkg_admin rebuild. However I still have orphaned files under
> > /usr/pkg (that are not owned by any package is what pkg_info -F -e says).
>
> Which ones?

They appear regular package installations. There was gimp, some tex-*
packages, just for example. Obviously these were installed at some point
of time and may be the db went corrupt.

> > How do I get rid of them?
>
> Some files are installed by the configuration framework and deleted
> automatically on deinstall (most of /usr/pkg/etc).
>
> Why do you care in particular to get rid of them?

Space, nuisance and feeling of untidiness and loss of control over your
installation.

E.g. I felt it to be a nuisance when I was trying to find out packages
whose linked libraries were not found. I did this exercise when switching
from native X11 to pkg/modular to identify packages that needed a rebuild.

One option is to reinstall them and then delete.

But isn't there something to get rid of them. Or shall I write a script
and get rid of them from /usr/pkg/bin and /usr/pkg/lib (and what else?). I
think I'd probably keep /usr/pkg/etc untouched as automated checks can't
be conclusive there.

Mayuresh.