Re: asynchronous make(1), anyone?

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 01:47:05PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 07:17:52PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:02:19PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> > > Figuring it out from the filesystem is best because the editor is not
> > > the only agent who may modify your sources.  For example, source control
> > > software will make changes.  One may cp/ln/mv a source file.
> >
> > Figuring it out from the filesystem doesn't work reliable. Consider
> > changing a header file in the middle of a build...
>
> That would be a problem with a solution that uses make(1) as-is.  One
> may have to be more flexible than that.

Unless you want to force the tool to re-stat all dependencies after each
build and bail out, there is not much to do. I find that requirement
questionable. I also wonder what problem you are really trying to solve.
Optimistic building sounds like the wrong solution to a real problem --
incremental builds being way too slow.

Joerg