A log monitoring tool

Hello everyone,

I came across this project on the wiki:
http://wiki.netbsd.org/projects/project/logwatch/ and it seemed
interesting to me. I recently took a course on machine learning so I
am thinking to look into this project in the coming days.

Now, I am not a sys admin, nor I have any experience of doing any
significant sys admin related work. So in other words I don't have any
idea what logs are important from a sys admin's point of view, what
does a sys admin consider important in a log and what is really not
important. How do they distinguish between important and non-important
stuff in the logs.

And also, are there existing tools like this which help in monitoring
and classifying logs ?

Any details about these topics or pointers to the literature which
tells about these kind of things will be highly appreciated, as I
think if I want to play with this idea then I need to setup such an
environment on my system as well.

Thanks,
Abhinav