Re: default skel files (Re: PAGER=less)

On 10/17/11 4:45 AM, markucz%gmail.com@localhost wrote:
Then, I'd also like to remove (or comment out) the following lines
in src/etc/skel/dot.cshrc (derived from 4.4BSD Lite2 merge!?):

---
alias h         history 25
alias j         jobs -l
alias la        ls -a
alias lf        ls -FA
alias ll        ls -lA
alias su        su -m

setenv  EDITOR  vi
setenv  VISUAL  ${EDITOR}
setenv  EXINIT  'set autoindent'
setenv  PAGER   more

I've grown very fond of ll, la and lf, and simply assume they are available
everywhere I go. I'd rather you left them as they are.

... and how widespread is this? If we are talking about individuals, I've never used them myself so I'd rather see them go. And individual preferences should not be the reason for decision behind what goes into these files or not. (If you really want to change a default behavior, get the code modified.)

I'd suggest you to carry around your own set of configuration files so that your preferences are not imposed on anyone else and that you can assume a "sane environment" (according to your preferences) anywhere. (The very first thing I do on any system is remove all .* files from my home dir and then checkout a fresh copy of my configuration files out of a cvs repository.)