Re: Lua modules, paths, man pages etc.

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011, Marc Balmer wrote:

> Am 07.10.11 13:02, schrieb Simon Burge:
> > Marc Balmer wrote:
> >
> >> Man pages.
> >>
> >> I think that Lua modules should be documented.  I suggest a new chapter
> >> 'l' for man pages that document Lua modules, /usr/share/man/manl/ whould
> >> then be the place.
> >
> > catl/manl is already in our man.conf.  It's been around since at least
> > the BSD 4.2 days for local man pages.
> >
> > If these are for libraries then section 3 would be the logical place.
> > We (seem to) support 3f for fortran from man.conf, so how about 3l for
> > lua?
>
> Yes, 'l' was a bad idea.  '3l' might be possible, but 3 is for C LIBRARY
> FUNCTIONS,

intro(3) doesn't specifically say that

DESCRIPTION
     This section provides an overview of the system libraries, their func-
     tions, error returns and other common definitions and concepts.  Most of
     these functions are available from the standard C library, libc.

(I think section .3l is good :)

> Am 07.10.11 13:13, schrieb Jukka Ruohonen:
> > Could you write a luastyle(7)? It might include some best practices,
> > idioms, etc., and it would guarantee readability over the long haul.
>
> Well, the modules I am talking about here are written in C, so I guess
> our normal style applies.  But I like the idea of best practices and idoms.

and intro(3l) could be a good place for a list of that stuff (even
style(3l) if you prefer)

iain