Re: bumping library major on release branch?

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 03:44:44AM +0200, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
 > > > I would like to backport extended attribute support in libpuffs from
 > > > -current to netbsd-5. Unfortunately a structure grew, which means that
 > > > it would require bumping library major on the release branch.
 > >
 > > It's really something we want to avoid as much as possible.
 > > library major change in X11 has delayed the 5.1 release for example.
 >
 > Another approach is to introduce an alternate structure and associated
 > calls in -current, and pullup that to netbsd-5
 > [...]

Since -current has a different major number from -5 (because of this
and other changes) introducing these into current would serve no real
purpose and potentially make a mess.

Introducing them just into -5 seems fine though, assuming you intend
the usual __RENAME method.

(Also remember that since PUFFSOP_INIT is a macro you don't have to
change or version it.)

I'd suggest doing the patch to enable puffs_ops_spare[] separately
from the feature patch.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost