Re: bumping library major on release branch?

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:

> > I would like to backport extended attribute support in libpuffs from
> > -current to netbsd-5. Unfortunately a structure grew, which means that
> > it would require bumping library major on the release branch.
>
> It's really something we want to avoid as much as possible.
> library major change in X11 has delayed the 5.1 release for example.

Another approach is to introduce an alternate structure and associated
calls in -current, and pullup that to netbsd-5

The offending structure is struct puffs_ops, it is used in
PUFFSOP_INIT()
_puffs_init()
puffs_null_setops()

I can add struct puffs_ops52, and associated calls:
PUFFSOP_INIT52()
_puffs_init52()
puffs_null_setops52()

I understand it is not very appealing. If anyone has a better idea...

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz