Re: Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) and NetBSD

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:58:48AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
 > > We can't really blame them for trying. While strict adherence to the
 > > (L)FHS is unlikely for all kinds of Linux distros and Unix
 > > derivatives, I still think we should be part of the process. Not to
 > > push FHS everywhere in NetBSD, but just to know what is happening on
 > > the other side world, or even push solutions in case we already took
 > > a decision regarding where goes what in hier(7).
 >
 > Well, perhaps one can't blame "them" for trying *now*.  But do keep in
 > mind that when this "standard" was propagated, decades of precedent
 > (Unix has had a hier(7) manual page for that long!) appear to have been
 > ignored once again with no solicitation of parties outside Linux for
 > comment -- just the usual "Linux does it this way, let's get a standard
 > that says everyone should."

It's worse than that; when the FHS was originally put together it was
done in a corner by a second- or third-tier group of people who didn't
even solicit input from the rest of the Linux community.

It wasn't one of the brightest design moments for the Linux world even
by the Linux world's relaxed standards.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost