Re: Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) and NetBSD

On Aug 26, 12:05am, der Mouse wrote:
}
} > BSD has had a filesystem layout standard that is perhaps similar in
} > scope, dating to before Linux.  Our man page says it is from Version
} > 7 (but I only remember it from the 4.2BSD days).
}
} Current NetBSD's practice - even my idea of current NetBSD's :) -
} differs significantly from BSD, though.  Looking at 4.0.1's hier(7):
}
} - Numerous directories are new in NetBSD as compared to real BSD.
}   While I don't have an accurate reference at hand, I would suspect
}   /libexec, and /var of being new.  I'm quite sure /rescue, /usr/X11R6,

     Solaris has had /var for some time.  That one seems to be somewhat
standard.

}   /usr/lkm, /usr/pkg, /usr/pkgsrc are.  (X11 wasn't up to R6 yet back
}   when Berkeley was still releasing - I even think X might have still
}   been at X10 - and it didn't have LKMs at all, nor anything
}   pkgsrcish.  And /rescue is new compared to even older NetBSD; 1.4T
}   doesn't have it.)

     Most of the rest have to do with newer features.  Standards do
need to evolve over time to remain relevant.

} - /netbsd, well, the canonical kernel was /vmunix back then, but I
}   think that one can be waved off. :)

     /unix for the AT&T world; /vmunix is a BSDism.  Albeit, Solaris
has /kernel/genunix.

}-- End of excerpt from der Mouse