Re: Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) and NetBSD

> BSD has had a filesystem layout standard that is perhaps similar in
> scope, dating to before Linux.  Our man page says it is from Version
> 7 (but I only remember it from the 4.2BSD days).

Current NetBSD's practice - even my idea of current NetBSD's :) -
differs significantly from BSD, though.  Looking at 4.0.1's hier(7):

- /COPYRIGHT has not existed on any NetBSD installation I can recall.
  While I don't have any running to check, I can't recall seeing it on
  real BSD either.  In fact, I don't recall seeing it on any system
  ever, though of course I've hardly tried them all.

- Numerous directories are new in NetBSD as compared to real BSD.
  While I don't have an accurate reference at hand, I would suspect
  /libexec, and /var of being new.  I'm quite sure /rescue, /usr/X11R6,
  /usr/lkm, /usr/pkg, /usr/pkgsrc are.  (X11 wasn't up to R6 yet back
  when Berkeley was still releasing - I even think X might have still
  been at X10 - and it didn't have LKMs at all, nor anything
  pkgsrcish.  And /rescue is new compared to even older NetBSD; 1.4T
  doesn't have it.)

- /netbsd, well, the canonical kernel was /vmunix back then, but I
  think that one can be waved off. :)

\ / Ribbon Campaign