Re: Importing tmux into base

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 02:32:11PM -0600, David Young wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 02:32:05PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm glad you asked that question.  I think that NetBSD is sinking below
> > > the threshold of usefulness for daily computing because it does not come
> > > with the tools to do type and quality of work that's expected these
> > > days.
> >
> > My personal opinion is that a large number of very talented and dedicated
> > people are employed by entities with large budgets specifically to
> > produce systems (many Unix-based) "for daily computing" and that it
> > makes little sense for NetBSD to try to compete with them.  I do not
> > believe "all things to all people" is the right choice for any project,
> > ever.
>
> I think that your response may have more to do with unstated assumptions
> that you believe we share than what I actually wrote.

Well, that's certainly possible.  When I read "for daily computing"
I would tend to read it as "for the machine I sit at to read my
email, run my web browser, etc."; basically, for today's glorified
and prettified VT100 (albeit one that can run a compiler and lots
of other handy stuff, in my personal daily use).  For the front end
machine that's one's main interface to whatever other computing
resources one happens to use.  And I think Apple pretty much has that
market sewn up, if one wants the Unix flavor of such a machine.

There are certainly plenty of other "daily" kinds of computing!  If
you meant one of those, then we are not in fact talking about the same
thing.

Thor