Re: Importing tmux into base

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 03:02:00PM +0000, Julio Merino wrote:
 > > Why is tmux so essential to import another programm into base?
 >
 > Why are, let's say bind or postfix, so essential to be part of base?
 > "I don't see the point to not use the ones, more featureful versions
 > from pkgsrc." [*]
 > [...]
 >
 > * I personally see the point, but I am just applying the original
 > argument.

Postfix has to be in base because base needs to have mail. We could
conceivably replace postfix in base with something simpler, but
someone would have to write it and that's so far not been worth
anyone's time.

bind should be kicked out; there's no reason other than historical
tradition to have it in base, and it's a maintenance hassle both for
us and for sysadmins.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost