Re: [HEADS-UP] growfs port for ffs2 and ffs1

Julio Merino <jmmv%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Matthew Mondor
> <mm_lists%pulsar-zone.net@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 09:25:39 -0400
>> Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> > 1) Please limit your line length to 80 columns when posting to NetBSD
>> > Â Âmailing lists, no matter how upset you are.
>>
>> Almost everytime I see a non-wrapped message posted to the lists, the
>> user agent is Apple Mail (as in this case). ÂAnd when looking at the
>> message source, those are wrapped, but using quoted-printable encoding
>> with = escaped newlines instead of =0A or actual newlines... ÂNot
>> having used Apple Mail myself, I'm not sure if it's configurable,
>> hopefully it is.

Perhaps we can add to the list of admonitions: please don't add random
0xa0 characters.

> I recently took a look at this and found the following:
> http://joeclark.org/ffaq.html (from
> http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1438136 )
>
> So, summarizing, Apple Mail uses format=flowed (unchangeable it seems)
> which should work in most modern clients.  (Our of pure curiosity, I'm
> wondering which ones do not.  Thor: which client are you using that
> doesn't respect this?)

I think correct format=flowed would be fine; that just changes the
content-type to declare it and adds a space at the end of each line to
denote that re-wrapping is permitted.

But, I believe that Apple's Mail.app fails to insert \040\012\015 to
keep transmitted lines at 72 characters.  The point of format=flowed is
that text can both follow the standard rules of 72 characters per line
and be refillable by clients that understand the format=flowed rules.

I sent myself a message with Apple Mail, and gnus displays it as one
line.  Part of the problem is that it's quoted-unreadable, which is
ridiculous for message that contains only ASCII.  And part of it is that
it is not labeled format=flowed.