Re: Supporting MDNS-SD in daemon programs

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 12:30:47 -0500
Ty Sarna <ty%sarna.org@localhost> wrote:

> Though, I don't think we want to have to add support to individual
> daemons, and I'd like to handle both standalone and on-demand
> (inetd-style) daemons in a reasonably consistent and automatic way
> (eg, have the service advertisement come and go automatically as
> daemons are started/stopped). OS X handles this by launching both
> styles with launchd, and putting the DNS-SD support there.
This was somthing I thought about too. (Though I don't know OS X.)
When every daemon does its own MDNS-SD advertisement we need to modify
every daemon and most likely put mostly the same code into every
daemon. This will result in may reinvented wheels... I don't like this
much, but saw no better solution. I had no real good idea how to design
a global MDNS-SD advertisement super-daemon. So I started my inetd(8)
experiment...

> I have a clever (I think) idea how to get something similar on NetBSD,
> without launchd, and without modifying individual daemons.
This sounds good. We should go this route.

> My younger daughter was in the hospital for a few months and I dropped
> the whole mdnsd project on the floor. I kind of forget where I left off.
Ty, family and health have priority - allways. Take your time for your
family. NetBSD can wait. I hope your daughter will recover.
--

tschüß,
       Jochen