Re: Supporting MDNS-SD in daemon programs

On Feb 17, 2010, at 12:15 PM, David Young wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 09:05:43AM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>> Is MDNS-SD advertisement support in daemons wanted at all?
>
> Yes.

Though, I don't think we want to have to add support to individual daemons, and
I'd like to handle both standalone and on-demand (inetd-style) daemons in a
reasonably consistent and automatic way (eg, have the service advertisement
come and go automatically as daemons are started/stopped). OS X handles this by
launching both styles with launchd, and putting the DNS-SD support there.

I have a clever (I think) idea how to get something similar on NetBSD, without
launchd, and without modifying individual daemons. We'd only need support in
inetd and mdnsd. But, I need to write up a proposal, and before that, I need to
get my head wrapped around the mdns stuff again. My younger daughter was in the
hospital for a few months and I dropped the whole mdnsd project on the floor. I
kind of forget where I left off.