Re: tn3270, mset and map3270

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:04:52 -0500, der Mouse wrote:

>>> The world is not all my own systems.
>> ...and includes a lot of things that already don't honor $TERMCAP.
>
> I know.
>
> I've been subjected to Linux a good deal at work recently, and there are
> way *way* too many programs that (a) assume that I want coloured text
> and (b) assume that sending the ISO 6429 values in an X3.64 SGR sequence
> will get that.  Neither one is true, and my $TERM and $TERMCAP provide
> no basis for either assumption.

I want to echo/me-to/+1/mod-up on this one.

ENV is about the only mechanism left to pass information across SSH, and
systems admin is still fundamentally about SSH connect to terminal window
instances.

I am sick of having to refind a .dir_colors to pass over to Linux. I
really miss having a mechanism which didn't require per-application fixes
to pass commandflags, or have state on disk.

-G