Re: FreeBSD i18n fonts for wscons

On 2 February 2010 17:09, Matthias Drochner
<M.Drochner%fz-juelich.de@localhost> wrote:

> hramrach%centrum.cz@localhost said:
>> Everything else can be configured by loading a translation table
>> together with a font. That way you can have fonts that cover, say
>> several of ISO-8859-n.
>
> Yes, I've considered this, and it makes sense to add it.
> (needs an extension of the wsfont user API, and some more
> framework additions)
> But imo it also makes sense to compile decoders for the
> most likely used encodings into the kernel; the infrastructure
> for loading and parsing user tables is much more expensive than
> two or three <1k arrays in the kernel.

Indeed. Still the infrastructure for loading and parsing user tables
*and* a few < 1k tables is still more expensive.

>> The code need not have apriori knowledge of any
>> encoding other then "C" ASCII.
>
> At least for users of standard VGA hardware it makes sense
> to have some mapping support in the kernel to make best use
> of the IBM font which is there anyway.

There is no guarantee that the font present in a particular VGA
adapter has any particular encoding although customizations to the ROM
font are less likely with recent hardware as the font included in the
adapter is of little importance.

Thanks

Michal