Re: FreeBSD i18n fonts for wscons

hramrach%centrum.cz@localhost said:
> Everything else can be configured by loading a translation table
> together with a font. That way you can have fonts that cover, say
> several of ISO-8859-n.

Yes, I've considered this, and it makes sense to add it.
(needs an extension of the wsfont user API, and some more
framework additions)
But imo it also makes sense to compile decoders for the
most likely used encodings into the kernel; the infrastructure
for loading and parsing user tables is much more expensive than
two or three <1k arrays in the kernel.

> The code need not have apriori knowledge of any
> encoding other then "C" ASCII.

At least for users of standard VGA hardware it makes sense
to have some mapping support in the kernel to make best use
of the IBM font which is there anyway.

best regards
Matthias

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Bolt,
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt