Re: interface name optional in wake(8)

Am 08.01.2010 um 00:51 schrieb Matthias Scheler:

On 5 Jan 2010, at 6:28, Marc Balmer wrote:
That said, if allowing not to specify an interface and there are
multiple available ones, would it make sense to exit with an error
instead of sending the packet over a random interface? Unless a flag
is given to use all interfaces, of course.

That is exactly the beahviour we have now (after my last commit).

May I suggest that "wake" prints out the name of the ethernet interface
in the auto detection case? This will make it easier for the user to
realise if "wake" is picking another interface than expected.

It never picks another interface if you specify one on the command line. It picks the only one available if you don't specify one, and only if there is exactly one interface up and running.

I don't think wake(8) should produce any output besides error messages. If you insist, then I would prefer a syslog message, since wake(8) is run from cronjobs here and I don't want to get email about the interface selection...

- mb

        Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                           http://zhadum.org.uk/