Re: Adding the "links" text mode web browser to the base system

Alan Barrett <apb%cequrux.com@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009, Martin Husemann wrote:
>> For the latter [a web browser] I'd expect it to be usable for a least
>> a non negliable part of todays web, including at least a few important
>> sites like our own, and $(pick your favourite search engine).
>
> links is perfectly usable with many web sites, including www.netbsd.org,
> and my favourite search engine.  Unfortunately, many web sites
> don't seem to care about accessibility, and there are also issues
> with characters that can't be displayed on text consoles.

Alright, let's see...

w3m http://netbsd.org/
links http://netbsd.org/

w3m correctly recognizes colour support and utilizes it,
links renders everything in black-white-gray.

w3m allows to move cursor across the text by familiar bindings
(_both_, sane and vi ones), links moves focus from link to link.

links does not.

Three usability points in favour of w3m.

w3m is integrated further into Emacs,
links is a leaf package.

One more point in favour of w3m.

--