Re: Add a minimal instance of named early in the boot

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 02:42:24PM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> >  * Run a full-featured instance of named later, and kill the
> >    minimal instance of named when the full-featured instance
> >    starts.
>
> In summary, I don't see how playing games of trying to kill the pure
> resolver really improves the situation. Can we please just use the
> much simpler approach of two independent named instances?

The two instances would clash if both try to bind to port 53 on
addresses 127.0.0.1 and ::1.  It's possible to configure the
full-featured name server not to bind to those addresses, and this is
indeed a good idea.  However, I don't know of anything we can ship in
the default named.conf to make that happen without knowledge of the
IP addresses involved.

How about an rc.conf variable to control whether or not the resolver
instance of named gets killed when the full-featured instance starts?
Perhaps I can find a way to use a single multi-valued variable like
this:

    named=resolver              # run mini named before ntpdate
    named=full                  # run full named after ntpdate
    named=resolver,full         # run both
    named=resolver,kill,full    # run both, but kill resolver later
    named=YES                   # same as named=full for compatibility

--apb (Alan Barrett)