Re: Google SoC Proposal Ideas

Thank you all for your feedback.

The resize_ffs project is very intriguing to me. This one and the BSD
reimplementation of diff/diff3 are at the top of my short list.

For the resizer, for my project, the first goal would be to write the
regression test suite and do a code review so that I can have a "state of the
utility" report. After I know where I stand there, I can better map where to go
next. But the first report on where the utility is would be the first
goal/milestone.

I noticed that OpenBSD appears to have a BSD diff in their tree. Is there a
reason that it isn't also in the NetBSD tree (not featureful enough, unknown,
etc.?)?

For the diff/diff3 project I propose, it would be a more-or-less feature for
feature reimplementation of GNU diff under a BSD license. The first
goal/milestone would be to just have it do a basic comparision of two files and
after that start implementing options and features, starting with the more
common options. A set of very common and useful features (such as -u) being
implemented would be a second goal/milestone.

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 08:24:00PM +0000, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> I don't think that having to unmount a file system, resize it, and
> mount it again is viable these days - we need file systems that can
> grow and shrink whilst still mounted.
>
> Regards,
> Alistair

Are you saying that the resizer utility needs to eventually to be able to
resize the filesystem while it is 'live' or that the filesystem itself needs to
first support this?

Again, any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

--
Christopher Berardi
http://www.natoufa.com/

Be still, and know that I am God (Psalms 46:10)