Re: netbsd-5 + wip/pdnsd + pthread = hang up

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 06:02:33PM +0200, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:

> Afer upgrading from netbsd-4 to netbsd-5 I've seen one significant
> regression. This is wip/pdnsd, pthread-based dns cache daemon, it
> doesn't work anymore.
>
> That is it hangs up when it receives SIGTERM. '/etc/rc.d/pdnsd restart'
> doesn't work anymore.  pdnsd daemon hangs up somewhere in close(2).
>
> Can anybody familiar with pthread programming check whether it is a
> problem in pdnsd or in netbsd-5's implementation of pthreads?
>
> I'm running a few days old netbsd-5 branch system.

Please ktrace it and provide kdump output. If it is hanging in close,
please find out what the descriptor is, and if any other threads are
making long-running system calls referencing that descriptor. One thing
we do not have is code to force other threads out of the kernel when
you close() a descriptor they are using.