Heirloom Troff for NetBSD (was: roff from 4.4BSD [Re: groff/-mandoc replacement])

At Tue, 3 Mar 2009 08:38:02 -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon
<tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: roff from 4.4BSD [Re: groff/-mandoc replacement]

> I looked at the Plan 9 roff last time this came up, but IIRC it too is
> C/A/T, not ditroff, isn't it?  It also relies on a bunch of Plan 9
> libraries which are of questionable utility for anything else in our
> system.

Plan 9 troff is actually descended from ditroff (I believe it was
derived from the version in Tenth Edition, as was DWB-3.4).  The Plan 9
version of course supports UTF-8, just as you would expect it to.

If I'm not mistaken the work of porting it back to a more-or-less POSIX
environment has already been done too, though perhaps the easiest way to
get it working would be through the "Plan 9 From User Space" project by
Russ Cox:

        http://swtch.com/plan9port/

There's also a somewhat older version of Documenter's Workbench Release
3.3, available under the CPL:

http://www.research.att.com/~gsf/cgi-bin/download.cgi?action=list&name=dwb

        http://www.research.att.com/~gsf/download/tgz/dwb.1993-02-04.tgz

and who knows, perhaps a query to Glenn Fowler might prompt release of
the latest available version of DWB under CPL too.

However now that I've looked more closely at the Heirloom Documentation
Tools, I think they might be the best all-round replacement for GNU
Troff in NetBSD:

        http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/doctools.html

They're already ported and running on NetBSD. They are much better
supported than the DWB-3.3 release and already include UTF-8 support.
They're possibly even better supported than the Plan 9 version.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 416 489-5852        http://www.planix.com/