Re: groff/-mandoc replacement

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 06:56:59AM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost (Thomas Klausner) writes:
>
> >On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 05:20:16PM +0000, Michael van Elst wrote:
> >> It lacks a mandoc macroset though.... Mixing in the macros from
> >> Heirloom helps, but I have no idea what the resulting license
> >> would be.
>
> >The mdoc macros included in groff are BSD licensed.
> >See /usr/share/tmac/mdoc/*
>
> For some unknown reason it (plan9 nroff) did not understand those
> macros, but the set from Heirloom (almost) worked fine.

Did someone strip the BSD license off the version in Heirloom?  The
macros originate in BSD Unix.

There should be a version in 4.4BSD that may predate the use of groff
and are more likely to work with plan9 nroff.  But I'm not sure CDDL
code is so objectionable for this purpose anyway.

What do others think?

Thor