/etc/ttys questions (was Re: Making the keyboard work)

Watching this thread has reminded me of a few questions that I've been meaning to ask for a while. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

1. What is the difference between /dev/console and /dev/constty ?  When
   should one be enabled vs the other?

2. How does /dev/console interact with /dev/ttyE0 ?  If I'm using
   wscons, should I have ttyE0 enabled instead of console?  Or in
   addition to console?

3. With Xorg, even though my /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file specifically
   says to run the Xserver on ttyE4 (vt05), it seems to start on ttyE0.
   This seems to cause getty some problems, and I keep getting "getty:
   repeating too fast" messages.  (These messages get trapped by my
   xconsole session, but do NOT seem to be recorded by syslog in the
   /var/log/messages file.)

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at whooppee.com   |