Re: Adding a simple editor to the base system

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, David Brownlee wrote:
>       I'd like to propose we add a simple text editor to the base
>       system. The obvious candidate is 'ee' from FreeBSD (who
>       have been including it since 1995).
[...]
>       I'm proposing it be added to base rather than pkgsrc to
>       ensure it is available on all standard NetBSD systems.
>       So for example a user who is not experienced with vi can
>       edit a configuration file before setting up their desktop
>       or preferred editor, or even if they find themselves in
>       single user mode.

I'd never use it, but "yes, please", for the reasons in the above
paragraph.  Even add it to /rescue, and give sysinst the ability to add
EDITOR=easyedit to root's .profile.

I would recommend turning off the default expansion of tabs.  And it
would be nice if it could be made to honour advisory file locks.

>       It has its own default bindings, or can use emacs
>       bindings:
>       http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=1&topic=ee#2
>
>       I'm inclined to suggest emacs bindings, just as they are
>       more commonly used.

ee displays the key bindings in a few lines at the of of the screen, so
it doesn't matter what the bindings are.  Novices will ignore almost
all of that, and will edit by using only the arrows, delete, and enter.
They will probably read enough of the help text to figure out that "esc"
will display a menu that lets them save and exit.

--apb (Alan Barrett)