Re: Adding a simple editor to the base system

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:03:12PM +0100, Leonardo Taccari wrote:
> Hello David,
>
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 08:42:33PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> >     I think we should be including ee, and updating our
> >     documentation to mention it as the suggested editor for
> >     new users. I use vi as my editor of choice, but it is
> >     unreasonable to expect a new user to sit down and learn vi
> >     before they can even edit their rc.conf to enable ssh.
> I could not argue against that (you're right, vi(1) could be a high
> barrier for a new NetBSD user that previously used a different editor).
>
> However, I also think that the "average" NetBSD user does not like these
> kind of tools in the base system.

I understand that argument, my gut feeling says the same.  But then I do
a ls in /usr/bin and I see all the commands that are in there that I've
never even looked at the man page to know what they do, let alone use
it.

So the average NetBSD user probably won't mind something small that is
not in their way.  They might not even notice.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost