pwd_mkdb(8) is still broken to me

If I build nbpwd_mkdb on 32-bit time_t host, it generates "VERSION 0"
*pwd.db files, which can' be read by libc correctly.  This is a fix
against pwd_mkdb(8) to generate "VERSION 1" *pwd.db files.

        http://www.netbsd.org/~uebayasi/pwd_mkdb-always-version-1-patch.txt

A question is, is there any case where "VERSION 0" is really needed
and generated?  I think "VERSION 0" handling is broken.  Moreover,
what is VERSION 0 and VERSION 1?  What is the version of "no VERSION
string" *pwd.db?  These conditions and specifications are vague.

Masao