Subject: Re: take 2; which way should we go for /etc/rc...
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/02/1999 11:47:39
On 02-Dec-99 Jason Thorpe wrote:
> and I think adopting a standardized way is going to be
> more beneficial to us in the long run than designing a Perfect scheme.

I disagree completely with this statement.  One of the really great things
about NetBSD is that cornered between "do it right" and "do it how everyone
else does it to be compatible"  we take the right choice.

I really do not want runlevels.  All I want are "services"  If I want the httpd
service to start.. I want to just say "/etc/???/httpd start"  I've allways
hated trying to guess my way through a bunch of meaningless numbers in solaris
so I could arrive at some destination point.  If I want X running, it shouldn't
matter what silly level I'm at.. it should start X.

If runlevels are where this whole thing is headed.. then I say punt the whole
project and just stay with something sane.  Many people I have converted to
NetBSD say the thing they like best.. is rc.conf.  They don't have to memorize
a bunch of stupid numbers to start thier machine.. they just select the
services they want running, and let them go.  I look at lukes work as a way of
extending this, and providing some simpler methods of adding additonal stuff
that rc.conf doesn't currently support.  That is a good thing IMHO.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>