Re: Deprecating non-functional SHAREDSTRINGS build option and xstr(1)

On 23-05-22 17:00, Valery Ushakov wrote:
  | On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 21:38:42 +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
  |
  | > I realised after sending the mail that mkstr(1) is also part of this
  | > and I'll also remove mkstr.
  |
  | Didn't we have an epic bikeshed about that not that long ago? ;)
  |
  |   https://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2022/04/08/msg013359.html
  |
  | -uwe

Well, that thread's the epitome of a NetBSD bike shed...
A minority arguing to retain a feature (mkstr, xstr) that hasn't worked
for 2 decades (at least, never had cross-build support), hasn't been
needed for over 3 decades, and only existed for a couple of programs
that don't exist in NetBSD with workarounds for the PDP-11 that was
mostly relevant 4-5 decades ago.

Given ragge@ - portmaster of VAX (one of the most ancient platforms we
support), and who has way more experience with PDP-11 than most of us do -
is also in favour of obsoleting these tools, I'm going to remove them.

Luke.