Re: ld.elf_so(1): LD_PRELOAD

On Tue, May 09, 2023 at 11:12:39 +0200, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:

> In the man page ld.elf_so(1), how is this to be interpreted:
>
>    LD_PRELOAD   A colon or space separated list of shared object
>                 filenames to be loaded after the main program but before
>                 its shared object dependencies.  Space is allowed as a
>                 separator for backwards compatibility only.  Support may
>                 be removed in a future release and should not be relied
>                 upon.
>
> I mean precisely this sentence : "Support may be removed in a future
> release and should not be relied upon."
>
> Does it mean support for "space separated list" or support for the env
> var LD_PRELOAD?

I think it's intended as the former, though I'm quite surpised we have
been claiming for the last 20+ years that the space is deprecated.
Solaris "Linkers and Libraries" only mentions space as a separator.

PS: Don't have time to RTFS right now, the "or" in "space or colon" is
kinda misleading.  Is "a b:c" a list of (a, b, c), ("a b", "c") or

-uwe